How Your Green Career Transition is Like Running A Race
|Green Career Tip of the Week
"You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must
plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win."
Zig Ziglar, motivational speaker
Hope you had an enjoyable 4th of July! Our weekend included a mix of hiking in the redwoods and a few projects around the house. When it came time to write the newsletter on Monday I made the executive decision to take an unannounced week off. Hopefully you were having too much fun to notice!
As you transition into your green career, what strategy are you using? Check out the article below to see how your career transition is like running a track race. You'll discover some new insights about how preparing for your search brings the best results.
Getting two copies of our newsletter? Scroll to the bottom for instructions on how to modify your subscription
Do you feel compelled to contribute to
a greener, more sustainable future...
but frustrated you aren't making
more progress toward your green career?
In this content-rich teleclass, I'll show you what actions to take when so you gain traction with your transition to a green career. You'll hear strategies I've shared with thousands of professionals transitioning into careers that are meaningful, fulfilling, and financially rewarding.
Come be our guest for...
- Where to look for viable ways to make a difference in the green economy
- What you need to know about yourself to succeed in the emerging economy
- Why you're confused about what to do and how that's sabotaging your results
- The shortest path to landing your next paid position
- 2 essential questions to ask yourself as you choose your next move to get the results you want
"Ready...Set...Go! Jump Start Your Green Career"
Tip of the Week: How Your Green Career Transition is Like Running A Race
Each and every career transition has several distinct phases. These phases unfold reliably whether you are looking for a new job or making a dramatic shift in your career. Their length and depth of these stages may vary, but you still have to move through each phase to make a successful transition.
Unfortunately most people don't know this. They try to shorten their transition by jumping into the middle of the process all the time.
Your Career Transition is Like Running a Race
The typical career changer often approaches their job search as if it's a casual race.
You've arrived at the track to run a race. You gather with others to start the race. Your goal is to run as fast as you can until your reach the finish line.
If you are searching for a new job, this scenario is like finding a job opening online, applying, and hoping you win the job.
There's just a few problems with this. When you run your race like this it's likely:
- You don't know the details of the race you are running/the job you are applying for.
- You have no training to prepare for the win/for the job.
Career Changers Who Are Competing to Win
- You have no power boost to accelerate your results off the starting line/attract the attention of potential employers.
For athletes (can career changers) who want to attain their goal, the race begins long before they arrive at the starting line/apply for the job.
- Athletes train for months for the track season. They study their strengths and review their best events so that they run the races they are most likely to win. (Are you determining which positions you are best suited for?)
- Athletes invest time up front to learn the specific dynamics and idiosyncrasies of their races. Running a 100 meter sprint is much different from a 1500 meter distance race. These two races require different techniques, strategies, strengths, and training. (Are you researching what it takes to excel in your target position?)
- Athletes spent a considerable amount of time practicing their start. In many cases, how athletes leave the starting blocks has a direct link to the final race results. (Are you preparing the tools that allow you to attract the attention of prospective employers from the first time they hear about you?)
- By preparing in these ways, athletes are truly ready to compete when track season begins. They dedicate their all to compete for the win! (Are you launching your job search when you are ready to compete? Or are you trying to jump the gun because you want fast results?)
Are You Running a Race for Fun?
Or Are You Setting out to Win the Race?
If you want to achieve your green career goals, be sure you are focused, trained, and prepared to outshine your competition at each stage of your career transition.
Copyright 2011, Transition Dynamics Enterprises, Inc
- Not sure where to start?
- Unclear about what steps to take?
- Trying to figure out where your skills fit within the green economy?
Green Career Central(TM) is an online coaching and resource center designed to help mid-career professionals, students, new grads, and career counselors make sense of the green economy and the green job market.
Carol McClelland, PhD, author of the award-winning, Green Careers For Dummies, is one of the nation's leading green career experts and founder of Green Career Central. Throughout her career, Carol has helped thousands of people find careers that match their values and interests.
Copyright (c) Transition Dynamics Enterprises, Inc. 2007-2011.
All Rights Reserved.
Green Career CentralTM is a trademark of
Transition Dynamics Enterprises, Inc
PO Box 354, Menlo Park, CA 94026
If this newsletter has been forwarded to you, you are welcome to sign up to receive your own copy:
If you wish to be taken off this list simply scroll to the end of this newsletter for your subscription update options.